Stephen Appiah Celebrates his 42nd Birthday Today: Fascinating Facts You Need To Know About The Veteran Footballer
Stephen Appiah Born 24th December, 1980 known professionally as Stephen Tornado Appiah, celebrated his 42nd birthday today. He is a Ghanaian former professional footballer who played as an attacking midfielder and who served as a captain of the Ghana National team. And he is 1.78m tall.
Stephen Appian was born into a family at Chorkor suburbs of Accra but he played his colt football for Mamprobi based Mighty Victory in early 90s.
Last year 2021 on his 41st birthday, a new astro-turf built by the government of Ghana for the people of Mamprobi was named after Legendary Stephen Appiah in honor of him.
He started his career for Ghana at the youth before moving to the Olympic and after there, he joined the senior team.
First Ghanaian Captain to Qualify the Blackstars for World Cup. In 2005, Stephen Appiah became the first captain to qualify Ghana for her first ever World Cup appearance in Germany 2006. He also led the Black Stars squad that came close to hitting a semi-final berth at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Stephen Appiah played for Hearts of Oak from 1995-97. He played 21 games with 19 goals. After there, he was transferred to Udinese from 1997 to 2000, which he appeared 36 times without a goal.
In 2000-03, he was signed by Parma which he appeared in 28 games without a goal there too. From there, he was loaned to Brescia from 2002-03 which he played 31 games with 7 goals.
From there, he was signed by Juventus in 2003-2005. He played 48 games and scored 3 goals for the club. After Juventus, Fenerbahce signed him from 2005-08 which he played 64 games with 11 goals.
Bologna signed him in 200o-10 which he appeared in only 2 of their games with a goal. 2010-11, he went to Cesena where he played 14 games without a goal before finalizing his career in Vojvodina by playing 11 games there with only one goal.
Appiah who capped 67 times for the Black Stars of which he scored 14 goals.
Senior Club Career
• 1995- 1997: Hearts of Oak
• 1997-2000: Undines
• 2000- 2003: Parma
• 2002- 2003: Brescia (loan)
• 2003- 2005: Juventus
• 2005- 2008: Fenerbahçe
• 2009-2010: Bologna
• 2010- 2011: Cesena
• 2012: Vojvodina
National Teams Career;
• 1995 U- 17 Black Starlets
• 1997 U-20 Black Satellites
• 2004 U- 23 Black Meteors
• 1995- 2010 Black Stars
The following are the awards Stephen Appiah bagged during his time as a professional footballer.
• Ghana FA Cup [Hearts of Oak] : 1996
• Ghana Premier League [Hearts of Oak] : 1996-1997
• Coppa Italiana [Parma] : 2001-02
• Serie A: [Juventus] 2004-2005
• Seria A [Juventus] : 2005-2006
• Turkish Super League [Fenerbahçe] : 2006-07
• Turkish Super cup [Fenerbahçe] : 2006-07
• FIFA U-17 World cup Championship winner: 1995
• SWAG Most Promising Footballer of the Year: 1997
• Summer Olympic Football All-star Team: 2004
• Ghana Footballer of the Year: 2005-2007
• Footballer of the Year in Turkey: 2007
• African cup of Nations All – star Team of the tournament: 2006
Team Manager for Black stars: 2017